Monday, 30 April 2012

Continued

Once again.. Have neglected blogging for.. 2 weeks this time! ehem.. Right These are the models I have completed since then and make the final elements to my asset list
Yes I had a lot of issues with some of my more complex animations, the common error being that it was rigged properly in max and worked perfectly fine.. but exported as an FBX was where the issues arose where in UDK most of the rigs had gone a bit mental. For example..
The above showing how it displayed in max and below how it imported into UDK
And this was quite a mild example, I did find online that it was something to do with the heirachy within 3dsmax.. though were set up correctly. To be perfectly honest I dont really understand how I managed to fix some of them, playing around with values of the bone references and tickboxes.. This simply wasnt documented anywhere so was at a loss. Eventually I got them to work though but for example the Courmorant, the issue was so bad I eventually had to delete 1 wing and have it a seperate object.. It was crazy and I still dont understand it even though iv worked on it. Yes I got my pub textures from other textures which I had created (as my limit was rapidly getting nearer and nearer) I also made a few more decals which i placed in the level quite a lot, mainly due to the fact that the UDK terrain I found had a glitch also. I would be painting the textures onto it normally when all of a sudden a huge rainbow effect appeared as seen here.
Once again I dived to Google trying to troubleshoot and apparently it seems to happen when too many 'complex' textures are in place. I tried many ways to get it to work properly but it simply was not having it so I ended up making a few decals and spreading them around. These were the decals I used:
Among these things the rest of what I had to do involved foliage placement and LOD. I found a few framerate issues in the level so decided to place quite a few more LODS around and also made instances of a few models without the foliage movement effect. Though better still the Frames per second remained a little off and I havent really been able to solve it since. I think I did the right thing with them LOD's and material instances but this is quite a technical problem - something I dont really understand. Anyway after a lot of tinkering, placing of animations into the level, playing with the lighting and fog volumes my project came to a close And to be honest Im quite happy with it. So yes I was working late into nights the past few days, it was a lot of tinkering around and dealing with issues. Eventually though it came to the point where I didnt think I could do anymore, my frame rate still seems a bit shifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment