Saturday, 12 November 2011

Whiteboxing Mark 2




Ok for Mark 2 I was playing around with the idea of having the settlement a bit closer to the harbor and having the area surrounded by rocky terrain loosely based on what I seen in Fable 2's Oakfield village.

The idea of compressing the village a little more is what I was mainly going for in comparison to the actual Anglo-Saxon village I went to. With Mark 1, since I wasn't happy with it I stopped before i thought about the actual wooden harbor.

I seen an improovement with this whitebox from the previous but I still wasn't really getting it. I stopped at that point seen in this image as I wanted to try from the start again.

Before Going into it again I had a little break and had a look around the levels in question in Assassins Creed and Fable 2. I remember in the first one there was a little harbor in the "Kingdom" section of Assassins Creed.



Once again this is the middle-east rather than Britain which I think my village will be set in. I did look through my riverside photos I taken in Norfolk but none of them actually had anything like this around. A lot of the moorings were done at the sides of the banks with modern wooden beams and posts, I didn't want boats tied up like that in my FMP as it wasnt true to the time period I was going for and also I wanted to suggest that this village had a working fishing and eeling buisiness.

In fact the harbor is pretty plain but with plenty of posts and areas to moor up.
Also in my norfolk research I taken a photo of a boat house which I thought I could have as part of my village for the more expensive boats.

I thought it was useful also due to the fact that it looked a little dilapidated.

Yes after Assassins creed I looked at Fable 2 again.


I liked the farming element also in this village which I could maybe incorporate with my level to give it a sense of a working village. Also it would make sense for the village to have their own things to sell rather than imported stuff (compared to this age...) The fact that the field wasn't all flat and straight as you would find in the country here, its also 'touching' that the villagers work with what they have got rather than in a perfect work, and during that time not the best tools were available.

No comments:

Post a Comment