Monday, 10 October 2011

The Beginning..

Well as part of my 3rd year final major project at DMU in Game Art I will be blogging a couple of times each week to give a report on my progress and show some examples of what iv been doing.

Using all our skills in previous years we are given freedom that in the 3rd year we could work on a project we wanted to show off our skills and abilities in hope for employment.
During the summer holidays I spent a bit of time in Norfolk on a sailing holiday around the Norfolk broads.
I taken loads of reference in hope that it could help me in my idea development. The Time I was there was brilliant sunshine and very warm and a lot of what I captured was quite vivid in colour. During my time I photographed everything that I thought was interesting including examples of the river banks, the wildlife, the passing ships, the landmarks seen on the broads and various other miscellaneous things.





I had been to the broads before so I knew what I would expect.


On the way back I stopped at "West Stow country park" which had an Anglo-Saxon village rebuilt which visitors could look around and experience.


I had an idea to perhaps combine my time on the broads with some sort of settlement, during my time in West Stow a little event was running also with a few people dressed up in Anglo-Saxon attire giving demonstrations and information about the site. Again it was a very sunny day and I captured a lot in the sun - which matched my reference taken on the broads which could prove helpful. There was also a little museum full of dug up tools, weapons and jewelry which I captured also.

By the end of the holiday I captured many elements in the 1000's of files on my camera card which was a fairly strong starting point for reference.
I had a vague idea in my head at that time that I could do a riverside settlement involving all major areas in a Game Artists practice; Natural Environments, Human environments, Animals, trees and perhaps a character; All to give a good scope to make for an interesting project. Obviously these ideas need whittled down more than that but Im confident with more research I will be able to reach a good strong idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment