
Iv been continuing to texture the houses I originally made and this is the last one, I adjusted the texture uv's half way through as I had some issues with texture stretching particulary on the roof section.

So that is more or less done, there are a few issues with textures still which i need to address but Id like to start on another house.
Id like to do this house but also slightly smaller versions of it, and perhaps vary where the door is to make it interesting.
So on with the bigger house!

As normal starting off with a box and with swift loops cutting out the shape. On my reference There arn't any windows (or only 1 very small window) but I thought that would look incredibly boring so iv added a few. On the reference on the single side I think would be quite interesting but I may modify a bit as a diagonal decorative piece completely covers it. Could have it like a little canopy raised slightly, almost like a porch.

For this one as opposed to other houses iv made, iv placed some little marker blocks on the corners and they are unwrapped and positioned around. My plan was that if the texture looks too samey I can grab the front faces and rotate or swap with the other one. (small bit of variation but every little helps)
And im on with making the slats for the house which I will unwrap so duplicating to fill the house will be easier. I think for the windows Ill make them more shutter like (but unable to actually see into the house). At the porch section I may make a little bit of a room inside that I can fill with assets in UDK. I don't want the inside to be the focus though, just a little area the player can pass by, my other houses are inaccessible to look inside.


Now originally i said about having the porch window open but how im going to arrange this big house is the side with the door pointing towards the village path so having the open window at the side would be a bit pointless so iv decided to make the left window the open one where others will have little cracks in the shutters. Just to add a bit more interest.

Right managed to unwrap and now onto texturing! My plan is after I texture this main one ill slightly edit the model and make a couple of smaller variations of it (makes more houses quickly). Now ill be darkening the wood a little later once all the textures are in place to match my reference.

Right so getting there, first impressions though is that it looked a bit dead - it needs colour to liven things up a bit. I think decals would work best for this when its imported into UDK. As how iv made the texture sheets to save space some elements use the same area but blobbing green onto it probably wouldn't work. I could maybe do something on the bottoms of the lenghts of wood.
Anyway ignoring that issue I think it works pretty well, still bits need tweeked and finished.
(I will also morph the vertices slightly to give a more rickety effect)


So yes, there are still a few things left to do on this mesh as I discovered a few issues, and ill have to bridge some polygons and resize some elements. So the buildings are going well though im starting to get a little bored of them. Ill try and get this model and the little variations of it finished then see, id like to try some trees again as they are quite big in my level also.
No comments:
Post a Comment